At a glance
- Central, digital platform brings together all data with maximum depth of detail
- Those responsible receive a comprehensive view of all relevant business processes
- Various departments use data to create new value for the company, customers and employees
The business situation of our client
Like all mobile phone providers, one of our clients was struggling with massive competition and cost pressure in the industry. At the same time, the company’s extensive data hid a wide range of potentials to differentiate itself from the competition and to complete the digital transformation. However, due to a proliferation of different analytical solutions and data silos in the individual departments, these remained largely unused:
- Fragmented data – for example on purchase history, reaction to campaigns or behaviour on the web – made an overarching view of the customer impossible.
- Due to a lack of data quality, depth of detail and possibilities for linking, it was not possible to carry out multi-value analyses on customers, products, branches, supply chains or financial flows.
- Due to the lack of a single point of truth, no consistent business metrics were available as a basis for key decisions.
- Issuing different front-ends drove up operating costs.
Therefore, it was necessary to consolidate all data with maximum detail on a central, digital platform and make it available for different use cases and analyses of the individual departments. A uniform self-service solution for all areas was to support this objective. Similarly, reporting for management and operational processes had to be standardised across departments. Last but not least, real-time data was to be made usable for the business.
The solution for our client
Our client’s integrated platform is to be understood as a Modern Data Warehouse. As usual, we exclusively used Microsoft technologies. The development included the following steps:
- Formation of a BI Competence Centre in Controlling
- Data modelling: We network all data on the platform in maximum detail. The flexible data model enables rapid adaptation to market changes.
- Data integration: All departments and their data are integrated step by step.
- Near-real-time: Based on a Lambda architecture, we enable the processing of real-time data in all required processes.
- Self-service: Business users receive easy-to-use self-service tools (Excel, Power BI). The self-explanatory data model also allows simple data management activities.
- Ad-hoc analysis: Business users have the option of carrying out free analyses in the data rooms provided.
- Data governance: The solution is legally approved by data protection officers.
How data turns into new values
Our client now has a comprehensive view of all relevant business processes. The different departments can use all data for their respective use cases to optimise the business and create new values that benefit the company, its customers as well as its own employees:
- Need-based customer targeting: customers are addressed with the appropriate products at the right time on the preferred channel.
- New products: Fine segmentation enables innovative offers and quick adaptation to market trends.
- Reliable contribution margins: Sales of contracts can already be forecast when the contract is signed.
- Mobile sales management: Reports and dashboards can be accessed on all conceivable devices.
- Transparent dealer management: Advertising cost subsidies, sales promotions and commissions are clearly displayed.
- Detailed advertising success control: The success of advertising measures on the web can be evaluated in detail, right down to the contribution margin achieved per customer.
- Fraud detection: Within a few months, irregularities were uncovered that would have caused losses in the millions.
- Churn management: Customers who are willing to switch are identified at an early stage and addressed with individual marketing measures.
turn your data into value.