At a glance
- Digital platform makes all data from operational business available for the first time
- Real-time analyses enable fast and flexible reactions in day-to-day business
- Customer satisfaction and sales increase while the return rate decreases
The business situation of our client
The efficient use of data offers bakery chains the opportunity to improve their business processes and service to the consumer in many ways. This is illustrated by the example of a medium-sized bakery business that is one of our clients. The company has set itself the goal of having a complete and fresh range of goods available at all times of the day in its 30 or so branches. At the same time, the return rate should be as low as possible.
In order to ensure the ongoing balancing act between an oversupply and an undersupply of the individual branches, enormous amounts of data are available, for example from checkout processes and logistics. However, our client lacked:
- a central platform to bring all the data together and enable consistent reports and insights across all business units
- suitable tools that enable users from the specialist departments to carry out their own targeted analyses
- Real-time data that allows fast and flexible reactions in day-to-day business.
The solution for our client
To enable our client to effectively transform its data into value for its business, we first built a central database based on Microsoft technologies. Here, all data from the operative business is processed and merged almost in real time. This includes not only receipt and delivery data, but also information on stocks, returns, orders, production, personnel, energy consumption and the weather. The bottom line is that the entire process from production to sales is mapped.
All company departments – whether sales, controlling, production or office work – have access to this integrated data platform. For evaluation, the various user groups have access to suitable analysis tools, such as Power BI, Excel or Reporting Services. In this way, all employees can carry out individual ad-hoc-analyses on the desired data quickly and easily. Standard reports on the relevant key figures are delivered automatically. We have optimised the design of the reporting system with a uniform information design according to IBCS specifications.
How data turns into new values
Through the ongoing analysis of daily updated sales data, our client has achieved its goals:
- Staff can identify any bottlenecks or surpluses at an early stage
- Missing goods can be delivered or transferred immediately.
- Consumers can choose from the full range of products at any time and in any shop
- Customers are more satisfied and can be retained for longer periods of time
- Sales potential is optimally unlocked, so that turnover increases
- The returns rate has been noticeably reduced
In addition, the company benefits from fraud analyses that effectively uncover irregularities in the checkout systems. Last but not least, the diverse analysis options of sales data, buying behaviour, shop development as well as production and delivery quantities provide different departments with a much more well-founded basis for planning. In the process, users no longer have to invest time in data procurement and preparation, as the relevant information is centrally available and easily accessible. Similarly, the automation of processes saves manual effort in many places.
turn your data into value.