At a glance
- Digital platform in the Microsoft Azure Cloud provides mass data centrally
- Cross-divisional analyses enable diverse synergies for the business
- New requirements can be implemented quickly and effectively
The business situation of our client
One of the fundamental obstacles in the digitalisation of companies is that each specialist department only works in isolation on its own data files. One of our customers from the energy sector also had to realise this. The provider wanted to finally unlock the potential in its data and achieve valid insights across the company.
The obstacles at a glance:
- Employees could not work with data across disciplines, so potential synergies remained unused
- Without a “single point of truth”, divergent key figures and results were circulating in the company.
- New applications and innovations could not be implemented due to the lack of a uniform, consolidated database.
- Resources were unnecessarily tied up within the departments for the operation of their own, small data solutions.
Consequently, our client’s objective was:
- Consolidate all regions and divisions
- To take over all existing use cases and data
- To store and process structured and unstructured data
- To enable the solution to be operated by the company’s own IT department.
- To implement the technological basis within three months
The solution for our client
The basis of our solution is a digital platform that we built quickly and efficiently using Microsoft Azure Cloud services. This not only enabled us to meet the tight schedule. Rather, our customer has the possibility to use storage and computing capacities according to their current needs.
All company data is now united on the central platform and made available for the most diverse application scenarios:
- We store data on customer contracts, prices and smart metering in a data lake.
- The local ERP is connected to the platform and also makes its data available via the cloud.
- Data from the hydropower sector is visualised directly in real-time dashboards.
- We also make the data from the wind power sector available to the specialist departments via a real-time route
Microsoft’s leading analysis service Power BI serves as a front-end tool for the presentation of the information as well as free analyses by the specialist departments.
How data turns into new values
With the cloud platform, our client has created the ideal conditions for its digital transformation from a technological point of view. Users from all areas can now finally evaluate data in a combined way to unlock new values and synergies for the company.
- Customer management: cross-divisional analyses provide new insights and enable the construction of forecasting models.
- Finance: For the first time, users can carry out independent reporting and make it accessible to other company divisions.
- Hydropower: Real-time dashboards can be published via a collaboration platform and made available for collaborative editing.
- Wind power: Users can carry out free analyses on real-time data and combine them with other sources.
There is also the technical benefit:
- IT can offer business departments an integrated platform for all use cases.
- Development processes can be made agile
- All departments can start new application projects within minutes.
- Data scientists can carry out analyses in isolated environments without burdening the platform or users.
turn your data into value.